Sunday, October 30, 2011

First Week Insanity Impressions

I made it through the first week of the original Insanity program, so here's some impressions so far. It's going to be difficult for me to talk about the program without comparing it to Insanity: The Asylum so I'll get a couple of things out of the way first. Insanity is broken up into two 4-week segments with a recovery week in between. The workouts from this week have been easier compared to Asylum, but I have a feeling that after this first month they will get harder. Plus the Asylum is meant to be a sequel to Insanity so I expected it would be harder. There is also a definite timed structure to the Insanity workouts that is not as apparent in the Asylum. Alright, no more comparisons.

Each workout in the first 30 days has the word cardio in it. There's a good reason for this. These are all cardio workouts. There are no pullups or resistance moves. For folks without weights, bands, and pullup bars this is appealing since there is no equipment needed. The program starts with a fit test that you take every couple of weeks to track your progress. I like to be able to look back at numbers to see where I have improved so it's nice that it is incorporated into the program with specific days assigned to take the test.

There are five DVDs that you rotate between for the first 30 days.
Fit Test
Plyometric Cardio Circuit
Cardio Power & Resistance
Cardio Recovery
Pure Cardio & Cardio Abs

You start out each workout with a warmup. So far the warmup has been the same for every day except  for the Cardio Recovery day. I have yet to make it through the entire warmup without taking a break, but I'm working on it. That will be my goal by the end of week two. That's sad to say, but it shows how intense this program is. I don't see a lot of difference right now in the types of exercises for the different days except for the Fit Test and the Cardio Recovery day. The Cardio Recovery is kind of a stretch and balance day, but there is still a fair amount of cardio work. I expected it to be a pretty easy workout and ended up having to take a couple of breaks.

I ended up missing a workout on Friday night unexpectedly, so I did two workouts on yesterday. I did one in the morning and one around 5 pm. I really wanted to play basketall today and didn't think I could get in an Insanity workout and basketball. I don't want to get behind on my schedule and I know it will be hard enough with the holidays coming up to not miss days. My plan is to do two workouts on any days that I need to make up a workout or shift my off days where needed. I'll just have to keep a check on my my body so I don't overdo it.

My plan is to post some short thoughts on the workouts a few times a week as I go through the program. So look for updates throught the week.

"Don't hate me, because I'm going to make you look good." - Shaun T

http://teambeachbody.com/shop/-/shopping/Insanity?referringRepId=111635

No comments:

Post a Comment