Monday, October 8, 2012

First Pro Football Game

I took my son to his first professional football game this weekend. My wife was sent an offer for a buy one, get one free ticket to the game for Minnesota teachers and students. The offer was for two different games, but the other game is the day after the Extra Life charity event. I'm planning to stay up and play video games for 24 hours straight, so I don't think I will make it through an NFL game the next day.

This game took place on my daughter's birthday so we asked her if she wanted to go. She said no so it didn't seem like we should force her to go to a game on her birthday. So it was just me and my son. I know, bad dad. Leaving his daughter on her birthday to go to a football game. I think she was okay with it. My wife on the other hand...I'm not sure. I think she was just happy someone in the family was able to take advantage of the ticket offer.

In addition to being my son's first pro football game this was also my first game in over twenty years. To give a little perspective, the running back for the Vikings at that time was Herschel Walker.

This was one of those experiences that you would call a true father-son moment. Just an entire day with only the two of us. The Vikings also played pretty well and dominated the game. The final score was 30-7. There were some amazing plays and it was fun to see my son get so excited and get to feel like he was part of the game.

He told me on the way home that this was one of those days that he would remember for the rest of his life. Now he wants season tickets. I think we'll settle for watching the games on tv and maybe going again sometime next year. I wonder what he would have said if we would have lost the game.

Maybe it would have been another twenty years until my next game.

No comments:

Post a Comment