Thursday, October 18, 2012

Extra Life Marathon

I'm participating in a marathon this weekend. Not the kind where you run 26.2 miles and then can't move for a day. I will be attempting to play video games for 24-hours straight to raise money for my local Children's Miracle Network Hospital, which also happens to be the place where I work. I've seen first-hand the heartwarming stories from the families who have benefited from Children's Miracle Network. I've also had a chance to meet the kids who we call Heroes. Kids who have been through more in their young lives than many of us could ever imagine.

Kids like Jonas, who at three years-old was diagnosed with a type of cancer called rhabdomyosarcoma. He's already been through surgery and chemotherapy. Even with all he has been through his smile and energy are contagious. He says he wants to be a pilot, train engineer, astronaut, archeologist, paleontologist, and maybe a doctor when he grows up.

This year I am playing in the Extra Life video game marathon in honor of Jonas. I have had the opportunity to work with many of the children like Jonas who benefit from the money that Children's Miracle Network raises. These kids just want the opportunity to grow up and play and live normal lives. Just spend a couple of minutes with any of these Heroes and you'll know why I am so passionate about helping them and their families.

Both of our children were born premature. We received meal vouchers from Children's Miracle Network that allowed us to spend as much time as possible with them while they were in the hospital. We're fortunate that both of our kids are doing well and we didn't need further assistance, but there are many families in the area that need your help.

This will be my second time playing for Extra Life. The last time was a couple of years ago when I used to regularly play video games. Since I have started working out at home my video game playing has dropped significantly. It's just hard to justify spending time playing video games when there are so many other things I should be doing. That's what's great about this event. I'm able to play video games, but it's for a very positive reason and a lot of families will benefit from the money raised.

So here's my plan. I will get up and start playing at 6am on Saturday morning. I'm mostly planning to play on the Xbox 360, but I will also play some tablet games. We have a halloween family event in the afternoon for work so I will bring a Nintendo DS and some games with me so I can continue playing. I plan to dress up as a video game player. When we get home I plan to play with friends online and at the house. I will continue to play until 6am Sunday morning. I'll send out a quick update to all of my sponsors letting them know I survived and then go to bed.

If you would like to support me and the children and families that benefit, you can donate by going to www.extra-life.org. I am currently about 70% on my way to reaching my fundraising goal. This link should take you directly to my fundraising page where you can learn more about Jonas and make a donation

http://www.extra-life.org/participant/PeteHaack

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment