Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Week After the USATF Indoor Championships

Well, it's been about a week since the conclusion of the USA Track and Field Indoor National Masters Championships. I need to come up with an acronym for that to shorten it up. From now on it is the USATFINMC. That's much better.

I didn't get an update posted after the meet, so here's what happened on the last day. I ran the 200 meter dash. We had preliminaries in the morning. My goal was to make the final if possible. I knew it would be a fast field of runners and only six spots for the finals so it would be tough, but possible if I ran well. I ran my best indoor 200 and made the finals in the 5th spot. My time was 24.04 (so close to being in the 23s). My left hamstring was starting to get pretty tight so mentally I was concerned about it in the final. I tried to stay as relaxed as possible and get a good warmup in prior to the race. My time was not as good as the prelim, but I still managed to get 4th place.

Overall it was a pretty good meet. Since indoor times are usually slower than outdoor I am pretty optimistic about the outdoor season. It's also bee nice enough that I can start some training on the track early this year.

Since I've been back home I did one P90X2 workout of P.A.P. Upper and Plyocide. I also did one Insanity workout and a short workout on the track. The track workout was three 200s with a 200 walk recovery between each one. I try to stay around 27-28 seconds for each 200 so they are not too fast. It's important not to take too much rest in between. This will help to build up to some of the endurance workouts I have planned for next month where I run 4 - 200s and keep increasing the speed and reducing the rest as the season goes on.

My back has been feeling pretty good lately, but I will continue to keep an eye on things and keep stretching and icing. I have been feeling pretty sick the last couple of days. I normally don't take days off from working out, but I think I can afford to take it easy right now and let my body recover before hitting it hard again.

No comments:

Post a Comment