Monday, June 17, 2013

I'm Going to the 2013 USA Outdoor Championships

A little while ago I mentioned on the blog about how I wasn't going to be able to compete in the USA Track and Field Masters Outdoor Championships because of a scheduling conflict. I'm still disappointed about that, but I am excited that I will be attending the USA Track and Field Outdoor Championships this coming weekend. Now just as a point of clarification, these are the elite track and field athletes. People like Tyson Gay, Sanya Richards-Ross, Justin Gatlin, LaShawn Merritt, and Allyson Felix.

This is the meet that is used to determine who will represent Team USA at the IAAF World Championships August 10 - August 18 in Moscow, Russia. The World Championships only take place every-other year, so most of the big stars of Track and Field will be at the US Championships this year. 


It also happens to be taking place in Des Moines, Iowa at Drake Stadium. I haven't been back to Drake since 1995 when I was there to compete in the Drake Relays in college. My first memory of the Drake Relays was the year before that when I warmed up on the track with Carl Lewis and stood about five feet away from him as he started the 100 meter dash. But that's a story for another time. Des Moines is about a four-hour drive from my home so it works out great. Me and my son are going to go down there for three days. It should be some good bonding time for us and he seems to be excited about it as well. We're especially looking forward to the 100 Meter Men's final on Friday night. 

Our seats are in the section right after the finish line in the second row. As long as we get some good weather this weekend it should be a great time. I'm really looking forward to it. I'll consider it a week-after Father's Day weekend for me and my son.

One night a father overheard his son pray: 
Dear God, Make me the kind of man my Daddy is. 
Later that night, the Father prayed, 
Dear God, Make me the kind of man my son wants me to be.
~ Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment