Friday, November 23, 2012

Entering Another Asylum

I've been saying I would do it when it got closer to the start of my indoor track meets and the first one is only about a week away. So this week I started Insanity: The Asylum Volume 2. Here are some initial impressions and advice.

On the very first disc is an Agility Tutorial which teaches you the steps that are used throughout the workouts with the Agility Ladder. These are more complicated than Volume 1 so I highly recommend going through that tutorial ahead of time. Maybe even a couple of times. Shaun T mentions in the Power Legs workout that when you have to think about what you are doing, you're not thinking about how tired you are. That's true. However I found myself having to stop and rewind a few times to figure out what I was supposed to be doing. I guess it does leave some room for improvement because you can't master the moves on the first time through.

The first workout is called X Trainer and it involves a lot of the Agility Ladder moves that you learn in the Agility Tutorial. It's pretty similar to Asylum Volume 1 workouts in that it's a lot of quick, total body training.

The next two days break up into upper body and lower body with Upper Elite and Power Legs. If you're a fan of push-ups you'll love Upper Elite. Both workouts also incorporate weights. Most of what you do is high reps and limited breaks so it's wise to pick a weight you can stick with even if it seems too light at the beginning.

This will be what I will use for my training to prepare for the first indoor track meet this weekend. My key focus will be on improving my endurance over these next few weeks. I would like to see if I can kick things off with a much lower 400 time than I started with last year. I guess goal #2 will be to do that without any injuries.

The quote for this week is something Shaun T says in almost all of the Asylum workouts - "The work doesn't start until you get tired."

Have a great Thanksgiving weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment